Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network Based Anti-Spyware Solution

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:24:24 -0700

An in-line device will track known spyware and other traffic
"signatures" and attempt to block them, and possibly even block the
download and install of certain kinds of spyware. It is a good addition
to a "defense in depth" approach to the problem, but cannot provide a
complete spectrum of protection. The problem with spyware is it looks
like standard system-type tools and applications, or stealth techniques
provide it a slippery path through your protections. Those may be missed
by an in-line system. Once one workstation is infected inside your
network, the in-line system can't protect you from further infection.
And, how is your in-line system going to protect you from the user who
puts a Sony (or other rootkit containing) CD in one of your
workstations? Not only would you now have the potential for sensitive
information leaving your organization, but the rootkit may open the
system to further infection or exploitation from other vectors.

What about systems that may already have a keylogger or rootkit
installed that you can't find, or may be in your production image? Are
you testing your images for rootkits or stealth methods before putting
them into production? Rootkit finding tools and other methods should be
used on images to insure that they are "clean" first, and a client-side
enterprise anti-spyware tool should be installed to help mitigate the
misses by the in-line system.

Avoid using one vendor for all your anti-spyware needs. One vendor may
classify a particular spyware as legitimate (or worse, not even detect
it), while another will include that in the blacklist. There is still no
broad standardization for just what constitutes spyware and vendors are
free to make their own decisions. Also, some tools are better against a
particular class of spyware than others.

Solid system build practices for images, a client-side anti-spyware
agent (from one vendor), and an inline anti-spyware system (from a
different vendor), will go a long way toward keeping your internal
network yours and keep it from leaking sensitive information.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)
3101 Northup Way, Suite 100