Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows Local Administrative Privilges

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 10:37:08 -0400

Sorry if I wasn't clear. You raise a good point.  I'm not suggesting
that you apply one policy to every single user.

Let me reframe the question:  but, rather, are you better off with a
general policy where most users either can or cannot have admin
access.  My experience is that a lot of users, if not most, want the
admin access.  I would probably lean toward a policy where, by
default, the user does not have the admin and you then allow it on a
case basis (hopefully very few cases).

Harold

Well, from my unscientific, very small sample of universities whose
policies I'm aware of, there seems to be two groups that basically lock
At 10:17 AM 4/9/2006, Julian Y. Koh wrote:

--
Julian Y. Koh                         <mailto:kohster () northwestern edu>
Network Engineer                                   <phone:847-467-5780>

Harold Winshel
Computing and Instructional Technologies
Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Rutgers University, Camden Campus
311 N. 5th Street, Room B36 Armitage Hall
Camden NJ 08102
(856) 225-6669 (O)