Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quantitative Risk Analysis?

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:33:22 -0700

 I've recently built a quantitative risk model based on the commonly
quoted (but apparently not cited) model of risk = threat x vulnerability
x asset value. I have not yet put it through the rigors of application,
but it at least looks pretty. :)

 On your #2, it is refreshing to see your approach, as this problem is
commonly couched in terms of RoI for security, which is a paradox. My
only suggestion is to think broader than IT, thus perusing models that
finance or marketing departments use.

Brian Basgen
IT Systems Architect, Security
Pima Community College