Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: new spider release

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:07:33 -0400

I second that.  It's a great utility.

Harold

At 12:36 PM 6/23/2006, Steve Lovaas wrote:
My thanks to Wyman for making a good product better in response to
feedback from someone he's never met except on this forum. Cheers!

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State University

Wyman Miles wrote:
> We've released a beta of Spider for windows that incorporates quite a few
> new features, for anyone interested in testing.
>
> [ http://www.cit.cornell.edu/security/tools ]
>
> The key things we've added are:
>       - improved and more detailed logging
>       - routines to validate possible CC#s and SSNs
>       [ finally bit the bullet on that concept ]
>       - a smarter installer
>       - ability to supply a list of paths to skip
>
> In the works:
>       - debug logging
>       - checkpointing
>
> The linux version of spider is being rewritten as a GTK app, to keep it in
> line with the Windows and OSX versions.
>
> We've also launched a mailing list for bug reports, feature requests,
> discussion, etc.
>
> Send mail to lyris () cornell edu with the following in the body of the
> message:
>
> subscribe cuspider-l "Your Name"
>

> Wyman Miles
> Senior Security Engineer
> Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
> (607) 255-8421

Harold Winshel
Computing and Instructional Technologies
Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Rutgers University, Camden Campus
311 N. 5th Street, Room B36 Armitage Hall
Camden NJ 08102
(856) 225-6669 (O)