Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound spam control

From: Mark Borrie <mark.borrie () OTAGO AC NZ>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:05:44 +1200

We have largely (totally?) avoided this issue by not allowing outbound
smtp, except for a few designated mailhubs.  All mail servers on
campus are registered with the mailhubs and relay outbound email
through them.

All client systems/desktops send email via their host mail servers.

This system was introduced partially to avoid being blacklisted due to
open relays many years ago and we are are now avoiding contributing
to the spambot traffic.

Mark.