Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Scanners Nessus versus ISS.

From: Clifford Collins <Collinsc () FRANKLIN EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 16:24:52 -0400

I used ISS for a couple of years and then switched to Nessus. You lose
the support structure that a product has but, if you read the book on
Nessus (it's a little dated) and mine the knowledge base on the net, you
will do just fine. Alternatively, Tenable Network Security
(http://products.nessus.org/) supports Nessus as an "out-of-the-box"
product. They are the folks that maintain the Nessus code and the
plug-ins.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Tenable Network Security and have
no vested financial interest in the company.

Clifford A. Collins
Network Security Administrator
Franklin University
201 South Grant Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43215
(614) 744-3051

DGrisham () SALUD UNM EDU 05/22 4:01 PM >>>

We are looking at going to Nessus from ISS.  Are there any ISS users
out
there that have made the comparison and not gone to Nessus one another
supported systems scanner?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers. -grish
David D. Grisham, Ph.D., CISM, CHS, CHSP
Manager, IT Security, UNM Hospitals, Information Technology
1650 University Blvd, S.500, Albuquerque, NM 87102
Ph: (505) 272-5657 FAX 272-3305
Work email: dgrisham () salud unm edu