Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

FYI: UT-ISO - SEnsitive Number Finder [SENF] Utility

From: Cam Beasley <cam () AUSTIN UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 18:21:11 -0500

Colleagues --

The Information Security Office at the University of Texas at Austin has
developed a tool we hope will be useful to you.  The SEnsitive Number
Finder [SENF] can be used to quickly locate SSNs/CC#s on a local or network
volume.

Since this tool is still beta it is a bit rough around the
edges, but we are very interested in your feedback (abuse () utexas edu).
Please feel free to download the SENF tool from:

http://webspace.utexas.edu/xythoswfs/webui/_xy-16803472_docstore1-t_tragWUnL
; thoroughly review the ReadMe before implementing

SENF was designed to find several SSNs/CC#s in a single file,
but remains somewhat flexible in an attempt to suit your needs.

For example, you may find it useful to run this tool (with '-m 50') on
systems used by administrative staff who handle or have handled SSNs on a
daily basis.

This tool may find a new home in the near future, but in the
meantime please refer to the above URL for updates/fixes.

Send comments/bug reports to abuse () utexas edu.

thanks for your help,

~cam..

--
Cam Beasley CISSP CIFI