Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: unauthenticated network access

From: Randy Grimshaw <rgrimsha () SYR EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 11:19:34 -0400

<><Randall Grimshaw
Room 203 Machinery Hall
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY   13244
315-443-5779
rgrimsha () syr edu

jsipher () SKIDMORE EDU 5/3/2006 9:12 AM >>>
Where are people going on the spectrum of allowing "guest access" to
the network/Internet?

The landscape is always changing...

For this past year we have been treating wireless a little differently. Our captive portal was written to allow low
bandwidth anonymous access to web and vpn. It also has a managed guest access feature that allows
staff/students/faculty to create (sponsor) guest accounts for friends and relatives easily (and separately from our
LDAP IDM system that is used for normal access).

Going forward we are developing our implementation of 802.1x but the captive portal is expected to remain as a
secondary access option, continuing to provide the low bandwidth anonymous access to web and vpn.

We are discussing the use of the captive portal for wired residences used for the many brief summer programs. (we are
deploying wireless and this may not be needed - timing)

<><Randy