Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Your thougts about smart phone access to privileged accounts?

From: "Dugan, Darin D [EIT]" <dddugan () IASTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 16:34:48 -0500

This is not a direct answer to your question, but I was just posting on
another list about the Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows
Mobile 5 devices and it seems quite relevant here as well. Here's an
excerpt:

I think anyone looking at Windows Mobile 5 should be looking at the
Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) and how it may fit into your
organization. This is the WM5 update that corresponds to Exchange 2003
SP2. MSFP fully enables direct-push (instead of SMS triggers for
always-up-to-date notifications) and has the client bits for password
enforcement and local and remote device wipe. As in, Dean of X loses
their device somewhere, a student or worse picks it up and wants to look
through it... MSFP policies can require a device password and
automatically wipe the device when a number of unlock failures have
occurred. In additional, remote wipes can be manually initiated at the
server level, enforced at next synchronization.

www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/mobile/deploy/msfpdepguide.mspx

Cheers.
--
Darin Dugan