Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking GIF Spam

From: Robert Mozden <vexira_dude () YAHOO COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 06:06:21 -0700

I would think that using multiple things like
spamassassin, even a commercial product like VAMS,
would drop those down.  Both of those have learn
features where you can use the current database of
known spammers plus the auto-learn feature & custom
rulesets to whittle down those.

To comment on the botnets, yes, they are getting
worse.  Alot of them are incorporated into adware now.
 There was an article in April's Baseline about the
damage & cost that they inflict on IT departments.

There were several article that covered bots:

When Bots Attack
http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1540,1946399,00.asp

Bots: Seven Saftey Tips
http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1540,1946413,00.asp

If you would like information about vams, contact me
directly please.

Robert Mozden

--- Kay Sommers <ksommers () VCU EDU> wrote:

Has anybody had success in blocking the market
advice spam messages that
have been appearing lately?    The problem is that
the messages are
images, and while our Brightmail scanner has the
ability to devise a
signature for attachments, each of these images is
just a bit different
which causes problems for signature matching.  The
senders are usually
different too.  There must be thousands of bots
invoved.
If we block the GIF files, the end users will still
get an empty message
which might actually be worse (more confusing for
many of the users).
Any ideas for a good solution?