Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Image SPAM Increase?

From: Paul Russell <prussell () ND EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:50:29 -0400

On 4/19/2006 12:51, Bruggeman, John wrote:
I'm seeing the same thing here at HUC-JIR, my Baraccuda is not detecting
them.  I've tagged probably 50-75 emails in the Baraccuda but so far (24
-48 hours after tagging) the 'Cuda has not tagged them as BULK.

I'm just hoping that the 'Cuda folks create some rules to get these
marked.

Our Barracuda has caught quite a bit of this stuff over the past few weeks,
but our site-wide tag and quarantine scores are a bit more aggressive than
the vendor's default values of 3.5 and 7.0, respectively. We tag at 1.0 and
quarantine at 2.0. Of course, individual users can override these values for
their own accounts.

Appended below are the X-Barracuda headers from a recent specimen. If we
had been using the vendor's recommended tag and quarantine scores, this
message would have been tagged and delivered, not quarantined.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team