Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Can we automate some cleansing of this list?, was-Info relating to PKI

From: "Cary, Kim" <Kim.Cary () PEPPERDINE EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:42:57 -0800

I got a real boost from this cryptic, er, cryptographic discussion:

Date:    Wed, 15 Feb 2006 07:58:28 -0500
Subject: Info relating to PKI

R3JlZXRpbmdzLg0KDQpIZXJlIGFyZSBzb21lIHRob3VnaHRzIHJlZ2FyZGluZyBQS0ksIG
Jhc2Vk
IG9uIG15IHdvcmsgaW4gYSBmb3JtZXINCmNhbXBncm91bmQgd2hlcmUgSSBhc3Npc3RlZC
BpbiBk
ZXZlbG9waW5nIGEgVUVUQSBjb21wbGlhbnQgZGlnaXRhbA0Kc2lnbmF0dXJlIGFwcGxpY2
F0aW9u
Lg0KDQpVRVRBIOKApllvdSBzaG91bGQgcmVhZCBhYm91dCB0aGlzIGxlZ2lzbGF0aW9uIG
FuZCBk
ZXRlcm1pbmUgaG93IGZhciB5b3Ugd2FudA0KdG8gZ28gdy8gZGlnaS1zaWfigJlzLiBUaG
UgbmF0

Just kidding. I hope no one takes offense, but it was pretty cool,
not being
able to see the 'Info relating to PKI' discussion because of encoding.

Seriously, a lot of stuff on this list is barely readable. While not
related
to the case above, it would be nice to let loose mimedefang or some
other
tamer on this list. Also, reject messages with more quote than
comment. It
really doesn't assist discussion to have to wade through tons of ms-
html, or
scroll through the 5 previous pieces of the thread to get at the
valuable
comments from a list contributor.

Maybe I'm in the minority subscribing in 'digest' mode and reading in
text mode. I'm too busy to take individual messages and as the security
guy, I don't need the risk of having my mail reader interpret messages.