Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Proxy/HTTP Tunneliing servers

From: Jeni Li <jeni.li () ASU EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:50:44 -0700

I've just been looking into this for the principal of the school my son attends. To add to the list -- Cybersitter has
a proxy solution as well. Its educational pricing structure is $9.95/seat (i.e., per computer), a one time fee if I
recall correctly. If you have under 250 computers behind the proxy, add $200 for the license to run it on a proxy.

It's good to check out the resources out there for people trying to bypass content filters, so you'll know what to
guard against. Here are a couple good resources for the other side.
    http://www.zensur.freerk.com/
    http://peacefire.org/

IMHO, a layered security approach will serve you best with kids who are determined to break your filtering. They'll try
to bypass the proxy in the browser settings and/or disable filtering software in the registry, so restrict their logins
to keep them from changing settings. They'll try to work around the OS by using Knoppix or TRB, so disable booting from
external and removable media. They'll try to enable booting from their CD or iPod, so set a BIOS password and put a
lock on the case. Et cetera. Just don't underestimate their abilities if you have really determined students, because
there's plenty of pretty high quality information out there to help them even if they're clueless themselves.

Jeni