Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NCAA SSL active Friday 1/27/06

From: Chad McDonald <chad.mcdonald () GCSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:31:26 -0500

Not sure, but I will certainly ask.  Thanks for checking behind me on this
one.

On 1/30/06 7:58 AM, "Christopher E. Cramer" <chris.cramer () DUKE EDU> wrote:

Chad,

Thanks for working with them on this issue.  I'm sure that more of our
schools are using this than we're aware.

I poked around on their site this morning and sure enough, the logins,
etc. used SSL by default.  Or at least the menus have been changed to
reference the SSL version. Unfortunately, if someone's bookmarked the
college login page as
http://www.ncaaclearinghouse.net/ncaa/NCAA/college/index_college.html (w/o
SSL), then they'll continue not to use SSL.  There doesn't seem to be an
automated redirect from http to https.

They seem to be using an Oracle-branded Apache server.  Any chance you
think they would use the rewrite engine to automatically bounce non-ssl'd
pages to their ssl'd counterparts?

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christopher E. Cramer, Ph.D.
University Information Technology Security Officer