Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: web browser security zones

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:12:28 -0500

We're also exploring if this would be effective and usable for a large
population - making IE consider our own domain trusted, and decreasing IE's
trust for the rest of the Internet to below the default setting.

So we too are interested in how campuses have received such settings,
and/or adjusted the approach.

Of course, this tactic doesn't mitigate the risk if our own sites get
defaced.  But the rest of the time it would hopefully decrease the stuff
that gets picked up through "casual browsing" during lunch hours.

Kevin Shalla wrote:
This prompts me to ask about web browser security zones.  Does anyone
make substantial changes to the default IE security zone security?  How
effective is this?  We make a few changes (adding certain sites to the
trusted sites and granting certain extra access in that zone), but not
much.  Do other browsers have such detailed settings by security zone?
It appears that Firefox has very little granularity (just load images
and popups) in the security setup.

--

  Gary Dobbins, CISSP -- Director, Information Security
  University of Notre Dame, Office of Information Technologies