Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Digital Forensics Professional Services Costs was Use of Digital Forensics Professional Services

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:49:11 -0500

Sometimes, the value of the objectivity implied by an external opinion
makes it worth the added expense to outsource.  Sometimes, contractual or
regulatory requirements mandate doing so.
So, you probably don't want to ever consider your in-house option to be
exclusive.

James H Moore wrote:
We are looking at the costs of outsourcing Digital Forensics
Professional Services, and the costs of keeping it in-house.  Also, we
are looking at determining the point where we do the transition (when it
goes from an investigation to a forensic investigation).  We haven't
done pricing, and so that is what I am looking for is information /
experiences that people have in the investigations and forensics area,
and what influenced their decisions.

Thanks

Jim

- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Information Security Officer
Rochester Institute of Technology
13 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 475-4122 (lab)
(585) 475-7950 (fax)

"We will have a chance when we are as efficient at communicating
information security best practices, as hackers and criminals are at
sharing attack information"  - Peter Presidio

--

  Gary Dobbins, CISSP -- Director, Information Security
  University of Notre Dame, Office of Information Technologies