Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email for Life?

From: David Lundy <dlundy () PACIFIC EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:20:48 -0800

A number of years ago the Alumni Relations department got together with
a Computer Science faculty member to set up "Alumni Email for Life".
This was hosted by a server in the faculty member's office.  New alumni
administration came in and "life" turned out to be about three years.
There was almost no squawking when the service went away.

We now support forwarding for graduated students.  We don't host email
here beyond a certain period of time past graduation or the student
leaving school.  We do offer email to emeriti.

Think about how much Internet communications has changed over the last
30 years.  Internet and communications are changing as I write this.  It
seems presumptive to me to be confident that we can reasonably offer a
service in this form for 60 or more years.

Dave

----
David Lundy
Acting IT Security Officer