Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Copyright - Timely notice

From: "Christopher E. Cramer" <chris.cramer () DUKE EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:30:48 -0500

Actually, the 10 (to 14) day window deals with the time period for putting
info back online *after* receiving a counter notification.

Assume the following.  A student has a copyrighted file on your webserver
which is there without permission of the copyright owner.  The
MPAA/RIAA/ESA/etc. contact you.  Because the material resides on your
server, you are legally obligated to take it offline "expeditiously."

The student files a counter claim.  You receive the counter claim and
send it back to the notifier.  You must then replace the material online
between 10 and 14 business days after receiving the counter claim.  The
notifier may use that time to seek a court order barring the material from
being put back online.

I believe that this is described in section 512(g).

-c