Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security awareness programs for end-users

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:56:01 -0500

Samuel C Kennedy/AC/VCU wrote:

I would be interested in knowing if anyone is addressing the use of
personal information on sites such as My Space, LiveJournal or Facebook?
 Recent events at the University have brought this up as an issue to be
addressed to our campus population.  Like many other security issues it
is a behavioral issue which is how we are choosing to approach it.  I am
curious if others are looking at this issue or are they leaving it to
Student Affairs and campus police to address as part of broader safety
programs.  I want Technology Services to play a role in this education
so we are partnering with other entities at the University.  I am unsure
what our final role will be but we have a seat at the table.  I am just
curious about what other schools are doing?  Thanks.

I'm planning on including the topic on our next refresh
as a general online safety line item.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer