Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

IP address conflicts / locating

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:54:55 -0600

At our school, all our IPs are public and statically
assigned.  Because we're a large school, and IP management is
decentralized, we often have IP address conflicts.  Our resolution
procedure is to call the network group which filters that IP
address.  Then we wait until the perpetrator calls the network group
to say that the network isn't working.  Then the perpetrator is told
to use a different address, and the original computer can have that
IP address back.  This can work when people are merely making
mistakes, however we're noticing rogue servers being installed, and
when they get filtered, they simply move on to another address.

I've asked if we can get a tool which will take as input the IP
address, and give the switch port where this IP is active, identify
where this switch is, and further identify to which building and room
that port connects.  Do other schools have this ability, or am I
asking for too much?