Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Home Access (Related)

From: Derek Spransy <dsprans () EMORY EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:52:30 -0500

Hello Everyone,

   Along the same lines of this conversation, we are trying to develop
configuration standards for laptops that our faculty and staff use offsite.
More and more users are requesting laptops rather than the traditional
desktop.  Obviously, mobile workstations present management challenges that
aren't that big of a deal on the desktop side.  In an ideal world, we would
like to manage these boxes as consistently and similarly as our desktop
machines.
   One of our biggest desires is to authenticate remote users using the
University's AD infrastructure.  This will allow new group policies and
drive mappings to be pushed out even while off campus.  However, our AD is
not accessible externally, and we're trying to figure out how our remote
users could authenticate against AD offsite.  Does anyone have mobile
configurations or experiences that you would be willing to share?  I would
be very happy to talk about this offline as well.

Thanks,
Derek Spransy
College of Arts & Sciences
Emory University