Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Acacia Media

From: Steve Worona <sworona () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:35:18 -0400

Acacia is a frequent topic on the CIO list. Check their archives (http://listserv.educause.edu/archives/cio.html) for a
recent thread. (Searching on "Acacia" should do it.) Here's a relevant Chronicle article (no subscription required):
<http://chronicle.com/free/2005/10/2005101302t.htm>. And another current update:
<http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/mjts/msg00030.html>.

Steve
-----
At 11:09 AM -0500 10/28/05, Christopher Chow wrote:
this was headlined on MSN a year ago... some schools called it extortion by the company. i would consult with your
university's legal department to see whether your use of streamed media is significant enough to infringe on their
patent and what to do with it. Hopefully others might be able to share off list to the original poster what their
legal counsel has advised them to do ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5649731/

(this was published Aug 9, 2004)

Flagg, Martin D. wrote:
We recently received a legal notice (actually a contract) from Acacia
Media regarding a license for "all streaming media".  Not a copyright
notice but a notification that they own the patent on the "streaming
process".  I googled Acacia and received too much information.  Have you
received any such notices and how are you handling them.

Martin D. Flagg
Network Engineer/Administrator
Hiram College