Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Internal Security Breach Costs

From: Jack Suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:40:59 -0500

I think there are legitimate risks that arise from internal staff and I
know there are a few cases where internal faculty and staff have sold
information illegally.

That said, I would tread lightly here and make sure that you understand
your campus culture. Nothing undermines IT credibility more than proposing
policies that seem to disrespect the role of the faculty. Suggesting that
all your faculty undergo background checks or presenting them with a
statement that their activity can and may be monitored can undermine
support.

What I am trying to do at my institution.

1. I think we should all begin to focus on adding language into our AUP's
around privacy protection. I think adding language that speaks to the
a shared cultural value around protecting the confidentiality of sensitive
information is important and that the institution is taking these steps to
protect the privacy of everyone in the community and each member has a
role to play in achieving that goal.

2. We all have students workers, some have access to sensitive data, we
should develop a data confidentiality agreement for student employees.

3. We all have temporary and contractual workers. Add language on data
confidentiality to your standard employment agreement for contractual
employees.

4. I would add language on data confidentiality into the documents you
have new employees sign when they are hired. At that time they are signing
a lot of material and there is less push-back on this that asking tenured
faculty to sign a pledge that they won't divulge data.

5. We should focus on proactive compliance training around FERPA, GLB, and
HIPAA to those where these existing requirements apply. Making this
available through online training courses is a better way to deploy this
kind of training. Start with training staff in those units directly
impacted and make this a requirement for all new people before they get
access to that type of protected data. Over time you can expand to other
groups.

6. Last, but not least. We have to focus on why we are granting people we
might not trust access to sensitive information. Remember the issue that
happened years ago at the IRS when temporary employees could look up any
persons tax returns and it was divulged they leaked information. We
probably need to rethink data access policies where people or groups get
sensitive information about people. Is access to those data elements
absolutely necessary?

jack suess