Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gaming Devices on the Network

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:07:47 -0400

Franklin, Elliott wrote:

Now that we have implemented Cisco Clean Access in our residence halls,
we are receiving many questions/complaints from both students as well as
Residence Life staff about our policy on gaming devices such as
PlayStation 2 and X-Box consoles.  Unless these devices have a built-in
web browser, or the user has a router and authenticates another device
behind that router, they will not be able to play Internet games on
these devices.  We are looking for what other universities are doing in
regard to this.  We would like to address this issue in our Network Use
policy.

What I've heard people do, with the X-Box at least, is change
the X-Box MAC address to be the same as the PC mac address,
then register the PC and the X-Box will work. I seem to
remember the procedure is in an X-Box FAQ somewhere.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer