Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SECURITY Digest - 23 Sep 2005 to 26 Sep 2005 (#2005-176)

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:21:27 -0400

Unless I am missing the point somewhere, wouldn't a "default deny"
inbound help to alleviate this?  It is not a silver bullet because
obviously an uneducated user can still choose to download something
unknowingly that will allow a compromise, but with a default deny, the
exploits can not be actively trolled by Internet abusers. And even if we
cut down, not eliminate, the active compromise of poor programs (and
OS's) it is progress.  We can't fix the programs that we do not write,
but we can help to keep them from getting exploited.

Not to push us to a political discussion but someone else mentioned ...
"until we get to the point of only allowing ports 80 and 443"...that is
pretty much default deny in my book.

I am spending much of my time on campus discussing what default inbound
deny really means to gain support and as I gain that support, protecting
the areas that I can.  So far I find that most faculty and staff are
shocked when I explain to them in non-technical terms what a default
permit allows (the bad stuff) and what a default deny could protect them
from.  So far I have had solid support on a dept by dept basis.

Thank you,
Gregory R. Scholz
Lead Network Engineer
Information Technology Group