Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Policy and Procedure for Electronic Research Tools

From: Theresa Semmens <theresa.semmens () NDSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:54:55 -0500

Recently, I visited with our Research and Compliance Training Officer
(IRB) concerning some of the electronic tools researchers are using to
gather data for projects from human subjects on both sensitive and non
sensitive topics.

Some of the tools discussed were e-mail questionnaires and online surveys.
If possible can any of you share with us what your institution or research
group/board has done to ensure that data is secure and is only viewed and
accessed by those who have to the right to it.

Can you share what you have in the way of policy, procedure, education,
training and security tools used?

Theresa Semmens, CISA
IT Security Officer
North Dakota State University
IACC 210C
Ph: 701-231-5870
E-mail: theresa.semmens () ndsu edu

"If you believe you cannot do something, it makes you incapable of doing it.
But when you believe you can, you acquire the ability to do it, even if you
did not have the ability in the beginning."       Mahatma Gandhi