Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking port 25 outbound

From: Randy Marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:58:18 -0400

We are considering blocking all port 25 traffic outbound.  We have noted >
various ISP5's and others moving to block port 25 outbound to reduce >
spamming.  We wish to be good netizens.

Oh my. So, you're going to ban all email from any machine on campus thereby
forcing all email to be handled by a central group of email servers? This
means that your email servers should have anti-spam and anti-virus filters.
Unix systems that have their own mail servers won't be able to send outbound
email.
What about systems that will relay mail through your email servers to the
outside world? How will you rate flow that?

I can see why ISPs would do that (commercial site) but I can't see a good
reason for a university to do that. Why not train your sysadmins how to
configure an email server correctly or provide some tools to do so?

        -r.