Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

How to deal with student server connected to univerity network

From: Christian heroux <Christian.Heroux () ETSMTL CA>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:53:27 -0400

Hello !

            Your advices and experience would be appreciate!

            We are not sure what to do with student server connected to university network. Every student association
has a server for webserver, listserv, software development tool...

We are thinking about offering server hosting for legitimate student server If IT service cannot offer any equivalent.
What are the policies in other university about student server (if you prefer server that are not administer by
university IT service)?

            We really don't like that student can setup server and have a public IP address. University can't control
what is published over the Internet and complaint received about such server are harder to follow, intervene and
complaints keeps coming. We plan using private addressing for the university network for many reason so we are facing a
problem with those kind of server.

Does many university use private address?

Does any university host student server or have a policy?

Does any university authorize student to setup their own server?

Thanks

 "Network design is 50 percent technology, 50 percent diplomacy, 50 percent magic"

Christian Héroux

Analyste de l'informatique (Réseautique)

Service de l'informatique et des télécommunications
École de Technologie Supérieure
1100 rue Notre-Dame ouest
Montréal, Québec
H3C 1K3