Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: p2p statistics

From: Bruce Curtis <bruce.curtis () NDSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:53:15 -0500

On Aug 14, 2005, at 8:49 PM, Scott Genung wrote:

All,

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a study (preferably third
party) regarding the average percentage of p2p file transfers that
are illegally distributed copies of copyrighted media? I was also
curious if anyone had developed a list of all legitimate uses of
p2p (ex: Linux software distribution, gaming updates, etc).

  The recent Supreme Court decision on the Grokster case mentioned
percentages of p2p file transfers for Grokster that were illegal
copies of copyrighted media, claimed to be above 70 to 75%.

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/MGM_v_Grokster.pdf

Scott Genung
Manager of Networking Systems
Telecommunications and Networking
Illinois State University
124 Julian Hall
Normal, IL 61790-3500

sagenung () ilstu edu
Phone: (309)438-7258
Web: http://www.tel.ilstu.edu

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis () ndsu edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University