Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Security Audits?

From: "Penn, Blake" <pennb () UWW EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:37:13 -0500

We are using NIST 800-66 as our HIPAA Security audit framework.  Each
section is broken down into elements with key activities, descriptions, and
sample questions.  These translate well into an audit or assessment
scorecard for each element.  Examples are also included for those less
familiar with some of the material.

I am going to personally assess our campus clinic using assessment
procedures that I learned and practiced in the financial sector.  Get a good
auditor/assessor with experience in a highly regulated sector and you should
be fine.  If you don't have one on staff, "renting" such an individual and
having one or more of your people tag along might be a good idea.

I think that the answers to a lot of your questions are best decided by
professional discretion rather than blanket policy initially.  The right
professional should be able to answer those questions in the context of your
particular environment and document these answers.  You can then use this
work to help create policy addressing these issues.  Just my $0.02

Blake Penn, CISSP
Information Security Officer
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
(p) 262-472-5513 (f) 262-472-1285