Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SPAM/spyware appliances or services

From: Ron Parker <rparker () BRAZOSPORT EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:46:01 -0500

We've been using Postini for several years. When the spam explosion really
got going a few years ago we just didn't have the staff to do our own
solution. I generally like their product. It has certainly saved our bacon
several times when major outbreaks occurred. My major concern with it is
that it won't scale well in terms of cost as we add 4,000 student accounts
to it. We only use it for a few hundred employee and a few hundred student
accounts at this point.

I'm currently planning to evaluate some appliance products like Barracuda
as possible replacements for Postini. I'm also considering some of the
roll-your-own solutions using various open source applications but
laziness will probably send us down the appliance route.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College
Voice: (979) 230-3480             FAX: (979) 230-3111