Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cardholder security compliance - Debit cards?

From: "Christopher E. Cramer" <chris.cramer () DUKE EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:40:02 -0400

Well, my initial comment was probably not printable in a public forum.

In PCI terminology, Mastercard and Visa are holding responsible anyone who
is dealing in cardholder data.  Cardholder data includes the "account
number."  The account number is the payment card number: either a credit
card number or a debit card number.

FWIW, we continue to encounter a variety of merchants and vendors who
either haven't heard of CISP/PCI or claim not to have.  Their general goal
seems to be to get the university to pay for their compliance efforts,
"you're the only one requesting this."  To date we've been able to get
them all to see things our way :-)

good luck
-c

--
Christopher E. Cramer, Ph.D.
University Information Technology Security Officer