Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Technology Export Controls - Looking for briefings and checklists

From: James H Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:00:53 -0400

I kind of groaned when I realized that I had more than just confidential
information to protect from prying eyes.  Being an Institute of Technology,
we have technology being researched on campus which is subject to export
restrictions.  We have subject matter experts who have knowledge of export
controlled technologies who travel for professional reasons where they may
come in contact with foreign nationals from export restricted to countries.

When I began to look at my responsibilities, it was suggested that I prepare
a briefing for traveling faculty to make them aware of the social
engineering applied to technology theft.  The suggestion basically included
both potential theft of intellectual property from sponsored research, as
well as, theft of intellectual property that relates to export controlled
technology.

Has anyone prepared a briefing of that sort.

Accompanying this sort of briefing, would be a "What to take with you and
what not" briefing or checklist.  Something centered more on the technology
that is in common use in the US, but might be a target for theft, or might
be restricted by export controls.  My initial thoughts were for laptops:

- move all of your RIT confidential or RIT Internal Use data to a network
server
- move any sponsored research data to a network server

- If travelling out of the US to ... Don't take PGP, Sony Puppy, ... Things
that use AES ...

I know that I am missing a lot.  I would hate to reinvent the wheel.  Does
anyone have something that they can share?

Jim
- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Information Security Officer
Rochester Institute of Technology
13 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 475-4122 (lab)
(585) 475-7950 (fax)

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

"The release of new internet threats have not created a new problem. It has
merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one." Parallels
quote by Albert Einstein on atomic energy