Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re:

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:31:32 -0500

Theresa Semmens wrote:

We're looking at the possibility of providing in a policy that it would be
an acceptable use violation to misrepresent who one is when communicating
with a university official; particularly as it applies to employees.

This is to get at the situation where someone uses an alias to communicate
on a work related matter to someone else.

I'm wondering if any of you have such a restriction in place, or could point
me to a policy with such a restriction. Any advice or suggestions would be
helpful.

My understanding of the law, albeit British law, but I'ld bet US law is
similar, is
that there is no legal objection to using aliases as long as it is not
with intent to
defraud.  Of course a university policy does not have to be backed up by
law,
but it does help.

You weren't clear as to whether the communication was face to face, written,
or electronic.  If it makes a difference as to which, then the problem
you are
trying to address is not the one described!

For example when I go into Radio Shack and they ask my personal details,
I always give false information (when I pay in cash).  However it would
be illegal
to give false information (eg forged credit card) to make the actual sale.

So the alias is not the problem, it is how & why it is used.