Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Legitimate Uses of Picture ID

From: "Penn, Blake" <pennb () UWW EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:21:51 -0500

We currently use pictures on our ID cards, as many universities are doing
these days.  Currently, this picture information is stored in a secure
database and really only accessible through the ID card application.

It has recently been proposed that we use this picture ID information for
class enrollment, law enforcement, and other such purposes.  The potential
advantages seem legitimate, but from both a policy and technical perspective
introduce new risks.

I was wondering what experiences other universities have had with expanding
the use of picture identification.  What were the policies and technical
controls used to assure that this information was not misused?  Did anyone
out there decide that the risks outweighed the benefits and opted not to
expand uses of picture ID?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Blake Penn, CISSP
Information Security Officer
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
(p) 262-472-5513 (f) 262-472-1285