Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Macintosh and Tiger (10.4) security

From: Michael Derry <Michael.Derry () EMORY EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:03:54 -0400

We are currently working on adding our (500+) Macs to our existing
Active Directory environment.  This (hopefully) will ensure proper
user authentication, allow connectivity to our new centralize file
solution, and give us some "management" over the local clients.

Emory uses Norton/Symantec for client AV for Mac and Windows.
Unfortunately, Macs have not been the leader in viruses so the
development has always fallen short.  However, Symantec has recently
released a managed version of AV for Mac that will allow a
centralized console to push out updates.  It doesn't work yet in our
environment because multicast is not enabled on most of our routers,
we haven't been able to test it.

As a rule of thumb, all of our users have full admin privs on their
local machines.  However, we do turn off file and print sharing via a
group policy for Windows and will hopefully do the same to the Mac
clients once we start managing them more centrally.

Michael Derry
Manager, Emory College Computing Support
Emory University
Michael.Derry () emory edu