Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policies on Server Installations

From: Frank Moore <moorefx () LONGWOOD EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 09:46:52 -0400

Craig and group,

We have a similar quandry at my institution. We have now come to believe
that there may be legitimate reasons for servers out in the academic world.
We have a new professor coming in  in Computer Science who wants a server
and pc's networked to that server and the Internet so that his students get
to understand and play with the hardware. He will be isolated on his own
VLAN.

We have decided to tackle this issue by approving an Administrative Data
Security policy which will limit all production data with sensitive and
critical information (in particular data defined in HIPAA, FERPA and GLBA)
to residing on IT maintained servers. In addition, we are planning on server
hardening standards (required) University-wide. We also reserve the right to
audit all university servers.

Frank Moore

F. X. Moore III, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President for Information Technology
Longwood University
201 High Street
Farmville, VA 23909

[434] 395-2034 voice