Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policy regarding servers on the network

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:05:02 -0500

Brian,

We're also amidst developing/adapting such standards, and several are
already in place at other schools.

You may find useful material among the resources at:

http://www.educause.edu/EffectiveSecurityPracticesGuide/1246
and
http://www.educause.edu/resources

behind the 'Cybersecurity' and 'Policy' links.

Brian Viscuso wrote:
I am curious to see if or how many institutions have a specific policy
that regulates how servers are put on the network? And, do you have a
formal request system in place for getting these servers on-line? We are
working on formulating a policy for college/departmental servers on our
network in an effort to 'corral' rouge servers and tighten up our
network traffic going to these servers. We aren't saying they can't have
them, we just want to know about them in advance and make sure they are
compliant with common security standards. If anybody out there has
something similar in place I would be interested in seeing their policy
or implementation.

Many thanks in advance.

- Brian
______________________________________

Brian Viscuso
Director for Systems Engineering
Information Technology Services
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, Florida 32514
(850) 474-3453 wk.
bviscuso () uwf edu <mailto:bviscuso () uwf edu>
Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/groups/.