Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SPAM/spyware appliances or services

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:17:20 -0400

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:14:56 CDT, Gary Dobbins said:

Am curious to know who's using an appliance or an external service (as
distinct from software running on the MTA) to aggressively filter spam for
their campus.  Additionally, do any of you employ products which filter
spam from email traffic as well as filter spyware from HTTP; who's using what?

(Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit on the busy side this week, and wasn't
keeping up with a few lists)

Will all those who are using Barracuda gear to do anti-spam filtering please
check if their boxes are still set up to generate outbound bounce messages
when they detect spam?  Remember that if you get a spam with a forged/broken
source address, the bounce message is *itself* spam...

Here's a web page about this issue:
http://postmaster.gtcs.com/BarracudaSpammers.php

And how to fix it:
http://postmaster.gtcs.com/CudaFix.php

(I can't find a reference, but I seem to recall that earlier software versions
for the Barracuda didn't support these settings, so you may need to upgrade the
software before doing this....)