Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data on sensitive computers Was: UC Berkeley Prof warning a class of students that the person who stole his laptop is in a heck of a lot of trouble....

From: "Jon E. Mitchiner" <jon.mitchiner () GALLAUDET EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:36:22 -0400

This brings up interesting questions.  Are there security measures that
your school takes to protect sensitive computers/laptops/hard drives
(such as Accounting, Health Services, etc?)

Do you force all sensitive data to be saved on a remote server in a
secure location (perhaps utilizing Terminal Services)?  I am starting to
wonder if this is something that we should investigate into with
sensitive departments so if the hard drives are stolen then we'd like to
know there's not much we should be worried about.

Jon

H. Morrow Long wrote:

Price of stolen notebook PC:    $$ thousands
Price of stolen data:                   $$ millions
Value of this lecture:                  priceless

       http://www.boingboing.net/2005/04/20/berkeley_laptop_thie.html

- H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM, CEH
  University Information Security Officer
  Director -- Information Security Office
  Yale University, ITS

Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

--
Jon E. Mitchiner
Special Projects Manager