Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IE and Secunia SA12889

From: Steve Brukbacher <sab2 () UWM EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:04:25 -0600

Sorry I'm just getting to this now.....
We posted an alert on this yesterday, which can be viewed here:
https://security.uwm.edu
See the "Alerts" section on the left

This was at least partially fixed by yesterdays round of patches which
I'll be updating on our alert shortly...:

Patch for
http://secunia.com/advisories/12889 (current security.uwm.edu alert)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-001.mspx

Overall, we're encouraging people to leave IE in favor of Firefox.

--
Steve Brukbacher
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee I&MT IT Support

Gary Dobbins wrote:

Has anyone had unusual concerns [more than usual] about the IE
vulnerability recently described on Secunia:
http://secunia.com/advisories/12889/

"Some vulnerabilities have been discovered in Internet Explorer, which
can
be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system, conduct
cross-site/zone scripting and bypass a security feature in Microsoft
Windows XP SP2.
"

Some have indicated it's exploitable without user intervention upon
arriving at a hostile site.