Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Legal Compliance and Marketscore and Higher Ed

From: James H Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:50:28 -0500

Thanks Tracy for your clear answer directly addressing the liability and
compliance issues.

I just really want to know what is needed to do the right thing.  I guess I
am looking for validation for my "shoot from the hip" response, which
largely reflects the efforts described on the SECURITY list, but goes a
little beyond the technical, too.

1) Have a test for individual users, wheather in anti-spyware, or a
web-based test which simply detects where traffic came from.

2) Have some alarms or blocks on the marketscore addresses for redirection.

3) Communicate to university leadership and legal counsel that we have seen
a problem of size x, and we are concerned with the potential for compromise
of personal and regulated data.

4) Make an announcement of marketscore, and its potential impact to the
general population

5) As quickly as possible create a standard on web-redirection.

... What have I missed?  How have others presented this to their university
leadership?

Jim