Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NESSUS

From: Matthew Keller <kellermg () POTSDAM EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:46:28 -0500

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 07:17 -0800, Peter Moody wrote:
For the folks who are using a solution like this, can you tell me how
Service Pack 2 has affected its usability?  Common sense would say
that a host-based firewall turned on by default on 80% of my desktop
machines would make any significant purchases in desktop scanning sw/hw
a waste.

Host-based firewalls do indeed get in the way of network-wide scanning.
A _lot_ of users seem to turn the firewall off, however.

As far as "cost" - Our cluster is made of old PIII desktops that would
otherwise be fodder. The software is freely available, and the control
application was fun to write, so the only "costs" are the spare data
switch, and the stress on the network (for us).

--

Matthew Keller
Enterprise Systems Analyst