Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: thesis

From: Wade Baker <wbaker () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:38:34 -0500

Sebastian -

The area of Security Information Management (SIM) will be evolving over the
next few years.  There is definitely some "low-level" work to be done to make
these things work like they promise.  I think they (or something like them)
will greatly assist both Infosec professionals and decision makers eventually,
but things like compatibility among security devices, recognizing and
categorizing events, gathering, condensing and analyzing the plethora of
information to make it useable in a meaningful and powerful way, and trying to
make this all happen near real-time hasn't been achieved yet.  In my opinion,
plenty of theoretical and practical opportunities for a dissertation.

Good Luck,

Wade Baker
Cybertrust