Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

UofRMachineCheck 1.0.7.1 available - now detects install of MS Anti-Spyware (Beta)

From: "Faigle, Chris" <cfaigle () RICHMOND EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:57:16 -0500

Hi.

        I am releasing a new version (1.0.7.1) of the UofRMachineCheck
DLL code (Visual Studio 2003, VC++), test pages, server executables and
compliance check that we use when registering student (Windows) machines
to determine that they have a correct Symantec Corporate Edition
Anti-Virus install with current AV definitions and to turn on automatic
updates on their machines normally and by policy.

        In 1.0.7.1, the control now detects the presence of the
Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta) software.  We are not currently using this
detection, but may want to this coming fall if we decide to enforce that
the students use this since Microsoft has said they are going to make it
available for free.  If I need to make a change to detect the non-beta
release, I will.

        We ran the 1.0.6.1 version on 3000 student machines this past
fall without issue. Docs include flow of a sample student registration
process.

        This is released under GPL with all source and files.  If you
make your own version, please change all GUIDs as the current ones are
all reserved for our official release.

Test server:
   http://141.166.174.241/TestMachineCheckServer.htm

Full package: