Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Personal firewall Policies - Tangent to Default Deny

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:12:47 -0500

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:47:33 EST, James H Moore said:

Sometimes other things limit my participation in this list, has there been
discussion,
war stories, or documentation on recommended settings for personal
firewalls?

Personal pet peeve - as far as I can tell, the Windows ICF firewall will log
everything it rejects.  We had some boxes that were logging literally thousands
of broadcast packets for 137/138/631 a day.  Kind of limits the usefulness,
if you can't find the *interesting* packets you've rejected...

(If anybody knows differently, please tell me the magic incantation..  I'm not
a Windows guy, I just get tossed firewall logs from Windows boxes.. ;)