Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Experiences using Bradford Campus Manager (1) on a large campus network or (2) multiple instances

From: Aaron Childs <aaron () WSC MA EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:51:40 -0500

We just installed Campus Manager over the Winter Break.  I am not sure
what you classify as a large ResNet, last year we had around 2100
registered clients in our dorms.  So far in general our experience with
Campus Manager has been great.

We did have a large volume of HelpDesk calls the week students moved
back but we were expecting that.  I highly recommend you get the CAT
tool with the installation, we made a last minute decision to add that
and so far it has helped us make sure that student's machines are clean
before registering.  Last semester our dorm bandwidth was constantly at
100% utilization mostly due to peer-to-peer applications and viruses, so
far this semester students are consuming on average 30%-50% of their
allotted bandwidth.

Aaron

Aaron Childs
Assistant Director, Networking