Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: preventing spyware

From: "Brian K. Wheeler" <BWheeler () UWYO EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 02:01:49 -0700

Steve,

        I don't know if you saw this post of Sandra Barclay's on Monday
(see below), but I use Spywareblaster as well. It helps prevent many
types of spyware from being installed.

Brian K. Wheeler
Network Security Analyst
University of Wyoming

We use spybot too, but I also added another software program called
spyware blaster. It can be found at:

Spyware, adware, browser hijackers, and dialers are some of the
fastest-growing threats on the Internet today.
By simply browsing to a web page, you could find your computer to be the
brand-new host of one of these unwanted fiends!

The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.

        Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spy ware, adware,
browser
hijackers, dialers, and other potentially       unwanted pests.

        Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and
Mozilla/Firefox.

        Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet
Explorer.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spy ware-free and secure,
without interfering with the "good side" of the web.

And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain
running in the background.

Sandra Barclay
IS Network Tech
Center for Human Development