Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Guest Access

From: "Wood, Anne M (wood)" <wood () JUNIATA EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:14:37 -0500

Hello,

Due to the increase in mobile computing we have starting to have an
increase in the number of requests from guests to use their personal
laptop or other device on our network.  In the past, we have given them
access to the Internet using an established and protected guest account
and access to one of our campus owned computers.  But this method isn't
working for users who bring portable devices which contain all of their
data.

Can anyone explain how you are dealing with this issue in order to
prevent viruses from entering your network and reduce other security
concerns?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Anne Wood
Network Manager