Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Blocking Access to Windows Update

From: Ron Parker <rparker () BRAZOSPORT EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:04:03 -0500

We have a little problem. Apparently one or more of our lab software
images is not set correctly to contact our campus SUS server rather than
going to Microsoft. These labs all use Deep Freeze so they keep
downloading service packs and Windows updates that are never installed,
every day, over and over. This is generating a huge amount of network
traffic over our internet links. Do any of you have a list of IP
addresses, an ACL or a BGP config that will block access to the Windows
update servers while we figure this out? I've been fighting this all day
and it seems like every time I block a server address, another one pops
up.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College
Voice: (979) 230-3480             FAX: (979) 230-3111